So you’ve got yourself a new feline friend. Now comes a decision that may be difficult to make- just what should you name your new furry companion? And how can you think of Harry Potter Cat Names?
Whether you’re a certified Potterhead or you simply enjoyed the Harry Potter books or movies, perhaps you’d want to give your feline a magical Harry Potter-inspired name? The possibilities are numerous, as the flavors in a box of Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans.
Unlike this loved but unpredictable box of treats, you can choose your cat’s name. Here are some suggestions to help you find the perfect Wizarding World name for your kitty.
Top Harry Potter Inspired Cat Names
- Harry: The Chosen One and “The Boy Who Lived”, who wouldn’t want to give their feline furbaby the same name as the hero of the show?
- Hermione: Wit and beauty, one of the golden trio, a unique name iconic to the Harry Potter universe.
- Draco: the foil to Harry Potter’s hero. You might choose this name because his platinum blonde hair matches your feline’s fur. Or maybe your cat is just a little bit snobbish.
- Hedwig: The snowy owl was Harry Potter’s eleventh birthday gift that became one of his close companions.
- Norbert: A cute name for a baby fire-breathing dragon. This name might fit your furbaby just right.
Harry Potter Cat Names for Male Cats
There are just so many male characters in the Harry Potter franchise, it’s definitely hard to choose! Maybe going over a list will help you decide. Sometimes, names just click into place when you see them.
I think my favorite among them is Silvanus. The name just sounds extra magical.
- Lord – you can call your feline companion this instead of the full “Lord Voldemort”
- Amos Diggle
- Crabbe and Goyle – perfect for a pair of cats that just love to follow you around
Harry Potter Cat Names for Female Cats
The females of Harry Potter can be beautiful, pretty, witty, deadly, kickass, and crazy. There’s definitely a fitting name for your female feline that you can find that can match the personality or looks of your kitty.
I really think I would name a cat I would have, Luna.
- Narcissa/ Cissy
- Millicent/ Milly
Unisex Harry Potter Cat Names
If you can’t settle on any male or female-specific cat names, there are a lot of surnames from the Wizarding world that sound very unisex and very unique. I’m a bit caught between Prewett and Dawlish.
Popular Harry Potter Inspired Cat Names
Scrumptious treats that could make a great cat name:
If you’re a food-lover like me, you might want to give your cat a food-inspired name. Whizbee sounds very unique to me.
- Bertie (Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans)
- Whizbee (Fizzing Whizbees)
- Pumpkin Pasty
- Sherbet Lemon – A favorite of the Hogwarts headmaster himself, Dumbledore even used it as a password to his office
Creatures of the magical world that could be a good name for your feline:
Below are some names that have been given to all manner of magical creature companions, others are the names for the creatures themselves. They’d still make good names though.
I think one creature name that I would really like for my cat is Selkie, the Scottish equivalent of a mermaid.
- Crookshanks – Hermione’s half cat, half kneazle pet, perfect for an orange cat
There are a ton of names you can choose from when it comes to the Harry Potter universe. Characters nicknames, magical places, even their magical games, and books.
I personally like Malkin- inspired by Madame Malkin’s Robes, the shop that provides Hogwarts’ uniforms. I think it would fit for a stylish or very witchy-looking cat.
- Padfoot – Sirius Black’s nickname in his animagus form, a large black dog
- Prongs – James Potter’s nickname in his animagus form, a stag
- Moony – Remus Lupin’s nickname in his werewolf form
- Muggle – the magical term for non-magical folk
- Grimmauld – a reference to no. 12 Grimmauld Place, the home of the Black family
- Diagon – Diagon Alley, the place with numerous magical shops and stalls ready to supply Hogwarts students shopping for supplies
- Blotts – Flourish and Blotts is the most popular bookstore in Diagon Alley
- Knockturn – From Knockturn Alley, the alley filled with shops that sells less than reputable magical wares
- Spinner – this is a reference to Spinner’s End, which is the street where Severus Snape’s house is located
- Durmstrang – another magic school located somewhere in Scandinavia
- Puddifoot (Madame Puddifoot’s)
- Zonko (Zonko’s Joke Shop)
- Beedle – from the Tales of Beedle the Bard, the wizarding equivalent of the Brothers Grimm
Harry Potter Cat Names Inspired by Hogwarts
Hogwarts isn’t just a treasure trove of knowledge and experience for any young witch or wizard, it can also be a fountain of possible Hogwarts-inspired names for your cat. I think Salazar would be perfect for a very aristocratic-looking cat.
- Poppy – Hogwarts school nurse
- Pomona – Hogwarts herbology professor
- Sybill – Hogwarts divination professor
- Minerva McGonagall
- Gryff (Gryffindor)
- Raven (Ravenclaw)
- Huff or Puff (Hufflepuff)
- Salazar (Slytherin)
- Peeves – Hogwarts poltergeist
- Myrtle – ghost in the second-floor girl’s bathroom
- Baron (Bloody Baron) – Slytherin house ghost
- Nick (Nearly Headless Nick) – Gryffindor house ghost
- Argus – Hogwarts caretaker
- Aurora– Hogwarts astrology professor
- Gilderoy – Harry’s 2nd year Hogwarts Defense professor
- Flitwick – Hogwarts charms professor
- Sprout – Hogwarts herbology professor
- Hooch – Hogwarts flying instructor
- Firenze – Divination professor during Harry’s 5th year
- Vector – Hogwarts arithmancy professor
- Binns – Hogwarts ghost and history of magic professor
- Pince – Hogwarts librarian
- Rubeus – Hogwarts groundskeeper
- Hagrid – Hogwarts groundskeeper
Cat Names Inspired by Actors in Harry Potter Films
Of course, it isn’t just the Wizarding World itself that you can pull names from. Even their actors and actresses from the films give a great list for you to choose from.
- Dan (Harry Potter)
- Emma (Hermione Granger)
- Watson (Hermione Granger)
- Rupert (Ron Weasley)
- Tom (Draco Malfoy)
- Fiennes (Lord Voldemort)
- Maggie (Minerva McGonagall)
- Bonnie (Ginny Weasley)
- Lewis (Neville Longbottom)
- Gambon (Albus Dumbledore)
- Helena (Bellatrix Lestrange)
- Bonham (Bellatrix)
- Robbie (Rubeus Hagrid)
- Timothy (Peter Pettigrew)
- Hardy (Cornelius Fudge)
- Phelps (Fred/ George Weasley)
- Rankin (Percy Weasley)
- Afshan (Padma Patil)
- Shefali (Parvati Patil)
- Scarlett (Pansy Parkinson)
- Evanna (Luna Lovegood)
- Warwick (Filius Flitwick)
- Fiona (Petunia Dursely)
- Natalia (Nymphadora Tonks)
- Clemence (Fleur Delacour)
- Poesy (Fleur Delacour)
- Devon (Argus Filch)
- Enoch (Dean Thomas)
Cat Names Inspired by Spells
Here’s one way to give your feline companion an even more unique name. Get some inspiration from the spells cast in Harry Potter. If only I had two cats, I would definitely name them Swish and Flick.
- Leviosa – It’s Levi-OOOOO-sah. The levitating charm, the one they used to make feathers float.
- Accio – The summoning charm. Harry uses this to summon his broom during the first task of the Triwizard Tournament
- Imperio – One of the three Unforgivable curses that grants the caster complete control of the victim
- Lumos – The wand-lighting charm
- Protego – A protective enchantment
- Revelio – A charm used to reveal concealed objects
- Evanesco – A vanishing spell used in transfiguration to vanish objects
- Swish and Flick – The wand movements for the levitating charm. Great for a pair of feline companions that move like a swift spellcasting wand
Conclusion: Harry Potter Cat Names
The world of Harry Potter- the books, movies, and the lore from the different sources like Pottermore, are a deep well of choices of names to bestow upon your cat. Some can sound common, but fellow Harry Potter fans will understand the reference.
Others can be as unique as the Wizarding World is magical. You can choose from character names, to magical places or creatures, or even food, and spells. Hopefully, our (not so) little list helped you out at least a little.
A name isn’t just a bunch of letters. It can reflect your cat’s personality or simply their looks. A name can even have a memory of your favorite part of the Harry Potter world attached. So why not give your cat a name with magical meaning?
Giving your cat a magical name is just one of the first steps to making your own memories with your new feline friend.