Are you a new pet owner and you’re wondering what to name your beagle? Are you finally signing your adoption papers and bringing your pet beagle home? You most likely spent all night wondering what are the best beagle names.
Beagles are known to live up to 15 years. You definitely do not want to wake up one day and wonder what you were thinking while naming him or her. By then it’s probably too late because your pet won’t answer anything other than Ryan Raynolds.
Beagles are gentle, really calm and playful pets. They are on the top 10 list of the most popular dog breeds in America. They possess an unmatched sense of smell with over 200 million scent receptors, and are very inquisitive.
This was why they were primarily bred for hunting small animals such as hare, squirrels, rabbits. They are even used by homeland security to detect illegal and dangerous items coming into the country.
Beagles come in large brown fluffy covering and the most beautiful hazel eyes you have ever seen. They top off their adorable physical features with really long floppy ears.
Finding a name for your beagle can be as herculean as finding a needle in a haystack, especially with so much information out there. If you asked 10 different people what you should name your pet, you’ll most definitely have ten different names and there’s a high chance you won’t like any.
However, I have brought together the best names you can give to your beagle, all in one page. If you make it to the end of this article, I also have a section for you on other ways you can name your beagle, and places to get inspiration from.
Famous Beagle Names
First, let’s take a look at the famous beagle names and where we’ve heard them from.
- Odie. If you were a movie lover, you should have seen Garfield. If you haven’t, add it to your movie bucket list. Odie also appeared in the Garfield comic series.
- Porthos. This was the beagle from the popular movie Star Trek Enterprise.
- Shoshine. The movie underdog was a classic in its season, and that’s where the beagle Shoshine made its appearance.
- Lou. Lou was the beagle in the famous Cats and Dogs movie.
- Shiloh. This beagle had a whole movie named after him. This makes it an interesting consideration.
- Snoopy. This beagle was owned by Charlie Brown.
- Him and Her. Weird but famous beagle names. However, they were not just regular beagles as they were owned by President Lyndon B. Jackson who was the 36th president of the United States of America.
Cute Female Beagle Names
Cute and elegant names for your girl beagle. They roll off the tongue and are easy to pronounce.
- Daisy or Daises
Best Male Beagle Names
These names are really adorable and will have people turning their necks in the park when you call your pet.
Most Popular Beagle Names
These are names that are common and popular amongst beagle owners over the years. They are a mixture of cute, unique and adorable names.
Macho Beagle Names
Cute Food Names for Beagle
Beagle Names for Dogs That Are a Sync with Nature
If your dog loves to run around in the woods or parks, it most likely enjoys being around nature. Consider giving any of these names to your pet.
Best Beagle Names for Dogs Who Like to Sing
If your pet beagle can’t seem to keep quiet for even the shortest amount of time, you can ponder on any of the names on this list.
Tips to Naming Your Beagle
People give names to their pets based on different reasons. Some from sentiments, while others from various sources of inspiration. Here are some things you should consider when looking for a unique name for your pet beagle.
1. Observation. The first few days after you bring your beagle home you can observe its behaviour and characters and let it guide you in choosing a name for your pet. Names like fluffy come from the physical attributes of the pet. You can also consider what the pet likes to do, what he likes to eat, what she looks like, etc. you should be able to coin a name from observing these things.
2. Sentiments. This is a very common factor when people name anything basically. From kids to pets, or even plants people give names based on how they feel about certain things or certain people. You can name your pet beagle after your favourite place, person, etc. it’s very common for people to name their pet after their closest family member, especially one who has passed.
You can also name your pet after your favourite movie or book character, or even your favourite singer. Beyonce, Rihanna are not very common beagle names yet. You can shorten them to Bey or RiRi respectively.
3. Inspiration from movies. You can name your beagle after beagle names used in movies and TV shows. Like Odie from the Garfield movie.
4. Dog Training. When naming your beagle, you have to consider the training process. If their names are too similar to training words, it may confuse and ruin their training process. For instance, the name ‘Bit’ can be misunderstood for the action “Sit”, “Brad” for “Bad” or “Fletch” for “Fetch”.
5. Choose a Concise Name. It is important to choose a name that is easy to pronounce and short. It is best to choose a one or two-syllabled name. If the name is too complex to pronounce, it might also confuse your dog, especially when other people try to pronounce the name. you can carry out a simple test before naming your pet by giving instructions out loud with the intended name. For example, you can say ‘Lexxie, time for breakfast’, or ‘Jake, drop it’, to see how it rolls off your tongue.
6. Avoid giving your dog names that people may find offensive. avoid names that may include or imply gender or racism bias, cultural slurs, insulting or curse words. Names such as “poophead” or “bitch” should be avoided.
7. Do not try changing your dog’s name after he or she is already used to it. You may wake up one day and think you made a mistake in naming your dog and then proceed to change it. Don’t. This will confuse your dog and make communication difficult for you both. However, if you must change your pet’s name, you have to choose a new name that sounds similar to make it easier for your do to adapt to. You can change ‘Miley’ to “Riley”, or “Charlie” to “Harley”
8. If you have other pets, do not give them names that are too similar. This prevents a conflict in obeying instructions. Let the names of your pets be distinct and unique.
9. Repetition is Key. After naming your pooch, they most likely will not obey you when you call by their given name, this is because they are not familiar with it. However, with patience and lots of repetition, they will come running when you call.
There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to naming your pet beagle. You have to do what is best for you. You also do not have to think up names yourself, especially if the dog is a family pet.
You can also involve the kids in the name selection process. The end goal is to choose a name that is familiar to both you and your pet. One that is easy to pronounce, adorable and also unique if that’s what you desire.