Do you know that lions are the most fear wild animal in the cat family in Africa? They are referred to as King of the Jungle or the king of beasts. Due to its strength, nobility, and courage among all other animals, they have earned unparalleled respect from humanity.
They tend to be quite social. Lions live in family groups referred to as Prides. A lot of people do look forward to seeing them sleeping or when they are hunting. Humans pay lots of money to visit Africa or Asia for a glimpse of this amazingly big feline.
Some Fact About Lions
1. Game of throne.
A lions reign as a pride’s leader doesn’t last long; it’s short. The reign last between two to five years. Only the strongest of a male lion can rule a pride. He needs to be on a constant watch not to get overthrown easily from his position
2. Sleeping habit
They can actually sleep for about 20 hours per day.
Lions do not usually run for a long distance when chasing their prey. In short bursts, they can run as fast as 50 miles per hour.
4. Gender roles
Lionesses are more agile and somehow faster in terms of hunting. Male lions are not too very good at hunting when compared to lionesses. Male lions prefer to groom, play, and sleep. Lionesses can case preys of around 250 pounds.
5. Lion Pride
A pride has about 10 and 15 lions, most of which are cubs and females. On average, Male lions make up only a fifth of a pride.
Lions can roar so loud that humans can actually ear their roar from 5 miles away. They roar so loud when they are angry.
On average, lions eat twice a week. However, the meals are huge. The huge meal needs to be digested, which is why after heavy lunch they go to sleep. Lion’s favorite dishes include antelopes, deer, and zebra.
Lionesses can deliver up to 3 to 4 cubs. These cubs are vulnerable to other predators such as leopards and hyenas, which is why a lioness must stay with them. Cubs are taught hunting by their mother. When they get to 11 months old, their mother will bring to them live prey to enable them to master hunting.
It’s a fact that lions can mate with members of pantherine to produce offsprings. Pantherinae is a subfamily from the family of Felidae. When a male lion crosses a female tiger, they produce a liger. They are considered a human-made because they would not occur in the wild naturally. Liger is the biggest of all cats.
A mate between a lioness and a male tiger will produce a Tigon while a mate between a male jaguar and a female lion will produce a jaglion or jaguon.
10. Lifespan of Lions
When in the wild, a lion’s lifespan is between 12 and 15 years. If it is in captivity, such as a zoo is 20 years or more. Lions in the wild have a short lifespan due to the rough life they encounter, such as injuries they sustain in fights with other lions or animals.
Now that you have known a few facts about lions, do you think you are ready to own one and name it? You shouldn’t have trouble coming up with a name for your lion you adopted at conservation, or maybe you went to the zoo and saw a lion you loved, and you wish to it. Search no more as we have compiled a list of 396 lions names we think you would like.
396 lions names
Below are some of the best lion names, glance through the names to pick the one you love.
Names That Mean Lion
Here are names that mean lion, they are;
- Aslanbek (derived from Turkish Aslan meaning lion)
- Leo (derived from Latin Leo meaning lion)
- Luan (means lion in Albanian)
- Tau (means lion in Tswana)
- Ari (means lion in Hebrew)
- Kiara (means lion in Japanese)
- Hari (means brown, yellow, tawny in Sanskrit, and by extension lion)
- Leonardo (means lion in Russian)
- Asad (means lion in Arabic)
- Usama (means lion in Arabic)
- Leandra (the feminine form of Leo, Afrikaans)
- Leonard (means brave lion, derived from the Germanic)
- Kesari (means lion in American)
- Kesar (means lion cub in Indian)
- Usamah (means lion in American)
- Hamza (means lion in Arabic)
- Sarabi (means lion in American)
- Aslan (from Turkic Arslan meaning lion)
- Kefir (means lion in Hebrew)
- Scar (means lion in Egyptian)
- Leonidas (derived from Greek meaning lion)
- Leon (means lion in Italian)
- Kefira (means young lion in Indian)
- Ariel (means lion of God in Hebrew)
- Nada (means lion in Old German)
- Dilan (means like a lion in French)
- Haidar (means lion, a warrior in Arabic)
- Simba (means lion in Swahili)
- Amra (The Lion God in Egyptian/African)
- Lavi (means lion in Hebrew)
- Moomba (means lion in Indian)
- Mufasa (means lion in American)
- Lev (means lion in Polish)
- Lionel (means lion in Welsh)
- Sher (means lion in Persian)
- Abbas (means lion in Arabic)
Lion King Lion Names
For movie lovers, the lion king isn’t a new movie for most people. Even some kids see the film as one of their favorite movies of all time. It takes about Simba, a lion cub, who lost his father and blamed himself all through is childhood for his death.
Below are some names from the Lion King series, you might want to consider.
- Simba (The star of the movie. He is the son of Mufasa and Sarabi)
- Nala (Sarafina’s daughter and Simba’s best friend.)
- Sarafina (Nala’s mother.)
- Mufasa (Simba’s father.)
- Vitani (Zira’s daughter and sister of Kovu and Nuka.)
- Kovu (His name means “scar” in Swahili.)
- Kiara (Princess of the Pridelands.)
- Scar (Mufasa’s brother.)
- Zira (Mother of Vitani, Nuka, and Kovu.)
- Nuka (Zira’s elder son, brother of Kovu and Vitani)
- Sarabi (Simba’s mother.)
Famous Lion Names
There have been lots of famous lions, from cartoons, films or in real life. If you are looking for famous lion names, search no more as we have compiled a list of few famous names you might want to consider.
- Prince John (Robin Hood)
- Parsley (The Herbs)
- Zuba (Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa)
- Martin (Wild Kratts)
- Larry (Father of the Pride)
- Samson (The Wild)
- Ryan (The Wild)
- Kimba (Kimba the White Lion)
- Gregory (My Gym Partner’s a Monkey)
- Granite (Jewelpet)
- Cecil (a famous lion in Hwange National Park located in Zimbabwe)
- Gold (Majuu Sensen: The Apocalypse)
- Fred (Super Chicken)
- Socrates (Animals United)
- Bobby (My Gym Partner’s a Monkey)
- Chris (Wild Kratts)
- Kion (The Lion Guard)
- Lippy The Lion (Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har)
- Alex (Madagascar)
- Leo (Merrie Melodies)
- Aslan (Narnia)
- Lil’ Cubby (Wild Kratts)
- Bester (Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn)
- Lambert (Lambert the Sheepish Lion)
- Reginald (64 Zoo Lane)
- Montana Jones (Montana Jones)
- Makunga (Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa)
- Erma (Tenchi Muyo! GXP)
Names of Lions in Zoos
Below are some lion names in zoos. If you are a regular visitor to the zoo, you might have come across these names.
- Zarina (gold)
- Rudo (means “love” in Zulu)
- Rashmi (moonbeam)
- Amani (desires, wishes)
- Amara (immortal)
- Jabari (meaning the brave one)
- Pelo (means “heart” in Sotho)
- Amaris (child of the moon)
- Asha (meaning life)
- Inesh (strong king)
- Lelie (Afrikaans for “lily”)
- Zuri (means “beautiful” in Swahili)
- Baruti (an African name meaning “teacher”)
- Sabal (with strength)
- Jari (powerful, brave)
- Karishma (miracle)
- Kali (meaning fierce)
- Kunwar (prince)
- Fahari (means “magnificent” in Swahili)
- Busela (in Zulu it means “happy and independent”)
- Sikara (brave one)
African Lion Names
Africa is one region that you could find lions. A lot of zoo in Africa has more than 5 lions. Every country in Africa has different ways they call or refer to a lion. Kenya has one of the best zoos in Africa, where you can find lions. Here are some African lion names that are special, which you might consider.
Cool Lion Names
Are you still looking for a cool and perfect name for a lion and still haven’t found any name that suits you? Here are some cool lion names.
Female Lion Names
Are you looking for a good name for Queen of the jungle? We have listed below some female lion names you might love.
Girl Lion Names
Here are a few ideas for naming your young girl lion. She will definitely grow up one day to be a vital member of her pack.
- Zarina—a Persian name that means Golden
Male Lion Names
Due to their bravery and strength, male lions are regarded as the king of the jungle. Here are a few suggestions for naming a male lion.
Boy Lion Names
It is known that when boy lions grow older, they tend to move away from their original pack to form or acquire new territory. We have listed below some boy lion names you can consider when naming a small male cub.
Mountain Lion Names
Lots of big cats live in the mountain, such as tigers, lions, pumas, and panthers. Well, lions do live in the. If you are looking for a great name for any mountain lion, search no more as we have listed below mountain lion names you can choose from.
- Leonardo — it means lion in Russian
- Asad — Arabic word which means lion
- Sher – means lion in Persian
- Leonidas – a Greek word for lion
Baby Lion Names
Lion cubs are adorable and pretty creatures. If you wish to name a baby lion, we have listed some suggestions below. Here are a few baby lion names for your adorable cub.
Disney Lion Names
If you checked out the production of the movie “the lion king,” they are produced by Disney. You might as well see lions in almost all Disney shows and movies. Here are few ideas for Disney lion names.
- King Arthur
- Prince John
- Goliath the Lion
- King Richard
Good Lion Names
When it comes to naming a lion, there are lots of good names available to pick from. Here are a few good lion names you can opt for:
- Amra—an Arabic word meaning princess
Cute Lion Names
No matter how lions are tough, they are cute when they are cubs. Here we have listed some adorable names to name the cute lion you might have adopted at conservation.
White Lion Names
White lion names.
In reality, I haven’t come across white lions; they are rare. However, if you are lucky to come across any white lion, you might be interested in one of these names.
What Are The Types of Lions
There exist 2 main subspecies of lions, the P.I. Leo, which includes Central African, the Asiatic, Barbary lion and West African, and the P.I. melanochaita, which consists of the Southern African lions, like the East and Cape lion.
Conclusion: : Lion Names
If you have the power to adopt a lion at any conservation, you might be interested in giving the lion any of these names above. If you enjoy this article on lion names, let us know your top choice in the comment section.
Also Read: Do Lions Eat Hyenas